Loose duplex loads

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

FowlPlay

Loose duplex loads

Postby FowlPlay » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Last year I switched almost exclusively to a tss/steel duplex load during duck season. I get my TSS from Hal and am using his recipe (20ga). Overall, loads performed well but I had a few duds in the bunch that I assume were caused by pressure drops and/or not getting a complete powder burn. The load is 1/4 tss #9 under 3/4 steel #3, roll crimp. I noticed that several of the shells “loosened” up between the time I loaded them and the time I shot them, this was over the course of about 6 weeks. By loose I mean if you shook the shell it sounded like a baby’s rattle toy. The roll crimp was still good and tight, stack height is good, 1/2 pellet over the top of wad. It appears that the rattle is created in the space where the tiny tss pellets meet the much larger steel pellets - like the tss is rattling against the steel and maybe there is some settling going on inside the shot column?? I have tried seating all components with extra force, I’ve ruined several shells by trying to roll crimp too much etc.

I am assume this looseness would cause pressure drops and likely cause the duds. Any thoughts on what is causing this and how to fix the problem?

I loaded a couple with a piece of 28ga felt between the tss and steel, these shells are tight. Is this an OK solution or is there a downside to placing the get over the tss?

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Greg

Re: Loose duplex loads

Postby Greg » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:20 pm

I am running the same setup and have noticed some loose crimps just like you describe but have not had any duds luckily. I'd like to hear what some of the others have to say.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:25 am

I read half your post and then thought he needs to put a piece of mylar or1/8 inch felt over the TSS to prevent migration. But then I read that you already did that. So, problem solved, carry on.

FowlPlay

Postby FowlPlay » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:58 am

Works for me. Thanks for your input.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:19 pm

I used to do a ton of calculations on what TSS sizes with larger steel would go into ionic closepack, i.e the way molecules are arranged with small atoms in the interstitial gaps between large atoms in hexagonal closepack. I've got every size calculated for when the gaps are large enough to let small TSS fit in with zero increase of volume. Basically #9 and #3 steel is getting close.
The answer is to put the mylar or felt between the two so the TSS volume isn't lost as it migrates into the steel.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:03 pm

Alcohol and water will do the same thing. Take a cup of alcohol and a cup of water. Add them together. The total volume will be slightly less than 2 cups.

Return to “General”