Solar Power

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Solar Power

Postby Fishh2o » Tue May 16, 2017 2:13 pm

I just wanted to see if any of our users are off-grid or grid-tied? In new Mexico we are aways from a power hookup. We knew this going in and we would be off-grid and that's fine.. .If you are can you tell us a little about your system? Im really interested in batteries.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Dave in AZ

Re: Solar Power

Postby Dave in AZ » Wed May 17, 2017 10:23 pm

I'll be interested in what you do.
I've looked at solar and made spreadsheets and what not, for years.
SolarCity didn't have a totally off-grid battery system, and my goal if I"m paying for solar is that it ALSO work as a backup when the grid goes down! But solarcity stops working in that case-- it only works if it can feed back into grid. Still waiting for them to make a good battery system, and I know Elon Musk is building a giant battery plant so we'll see.

I fly with a bunch of guys who have cabins off grid in Alaska for hunting etc. They all recommended a small wind turbine also. One guy lives on a stream, and has a couple of those sailboat water-turbine generators (hang over side in current, generates elec), which he says can be powered by pretty small currents-- not sure if you have a stream there or could build a raceway/drop to power such a thing, but if so it's a good source also.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Re: Solar Power

Postby Fishh2o » Thu May 18, 2017 7:05 am

Thanks Dave, it will be a combination wind solar for sure. The Mesa we are on average 10 mps winds according to the near by weather station but its not on the Mesa its down below . We are 1000 feet above them so I know wind speeds are higher. The guy I have been talking to about wind said with those number and a 20 foot sweep i could be generating around 3-4 KWH. However, I will need enough solar to keep batteries topped off incase it doesnt blow. That shouldn't be too hard in the SW. I will keep you updated with what we decide to do. Right now I'm going to get a small system so I can run a weather station, cameras, wireless router, 3g/4g internet, wireless game cams, and a small cabin with a few lights. Main thing i want is remote monitoring of the system, weather, and land.

A lot of the grid tied systems do a shutdown during a power outage due to not wanting power on the grid while a electrician is working on the lines. They now have disconnects.. They sense the power loss on the grid then cut that connection letting your batteries power your home. Don't be surprised it a electrician knocks on your door if you're the only one on your block with lights on..

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Return to “General”