Buris, mount, and then patterning?

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

Rick618

Buris, mount, and then patterning?

Postby Rick618 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:59 pm

I have a Benelli M1 12ga that I found a saddle mount for, and then while I was looking around Cabela's put the Burris FFIII 3MOA on sale for $200. Mounted everything tonight and don't like that I'm going to need to raise the comb alot to make this thing work as the saddle mount allows for shooting under the sight.
Gunsmith call in the am to see about drilling and taping to mount a flat weaver base, may still need some comb height added. That will work out one way or the other.

So, once this rig is the way I want it what's the suggested way to get it on paper before using the TSS loads?
My thoughts are heavy field loads or duck loads at close range, 10yds or so to get it on paper, then move it out 20-30-40 yards?

Rick618

Re: Buris, mount, and then patterning?

Postby Rick618 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:24 pm

No suggestions so I followed my plan. Gunsmith mounted the scope base for about $40. Added the sight and then I still wanted some comb height added. Bought a Beartooth Stock Raising kit from Amazon.

Used a metal A-frame about 3'x3' and shot some target loads to see where the gun was hitting.
71/2's at 40 yards thru a turkey tube were slug like. Swapped to a 5 lead high brass load just to see what, if anything would change. Just a more open pattern.

I had an Indian Creek tube and that was my starting point. Set up the TSS Trap and let fly. Was off center to the right about 6". Made an adjustment. About the same to the left. Cut that in half and was on. Total of 5 2oz rounds. After I collected the spent shot I had 9 of the 10oz back. Not bad as I could see several trapped in the floor runner sheets.

I did see another design where they changed the base to be able to add wheels, not a bad idea as these things are a beast to move around.

http://www.amazon.com/Burris-300234-Fas ... stfire+iii
http://www.amazon.com/Beartooth-Stock-C ... 1_3&sr=8-3

Rick618

Postby Rick618 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:33 pm

~300 pellets in the 10" Image

jars

Postby jars » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm new to the site and this is my second post, so bear with me.

Sighting in a scope on a shotgun drove me crazy until I hit on the following system. I arbitrarily chose a 71/2" circle as my ideal target for turkeys, so I drilled a center hole of 1/8" in a piece of plexiglass and then drew and cut out a 7 1/2" circle.

Shooting from a rest, I carefully shoot at the center of my target, then put the plexiglass over the pattern so I estimate I am covering the maximum concentration of pellet holes in the target. I usually draw around the outside of my plexiglass, for a second look once I remove it, but the important thing is to put a dot on the target using the center hole in the plexiglass.

It's easy enough then to simply measure left or right, up or down, from the dot to the center of the target, then transfer that as a scope adjustment.

Return to “General”