TSS and Snow Geese

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

Dave in AZ

Re: TSS and Snow Geese

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:42 pm

Great field reports and load testing, James, thanks so much for the writeup also!

I'll probably be basing any recommendations I were to give off YOUR field results ;)

Same to you Bob, thanks for your post and info.

james.moffat

Postby james.moffat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:10 am

Bob,

That's big medicine in what you have. I read somewhere that Federal HW at 15g is comparable to TSS 18g by going down 1 to 1.5 sizes(probably one of Dave's posts). So 6's in HW would be like 7's or 7.5's in TSS. Your only challenge will be matching choke sizes to ranges across the various loads and distances. I'd trade snows for specs every day of the week. We had a few that actually decoyed, but season was closed.

I understand the long drives to hunt. Where I was hunting last week was 320 miles from home. When I started hunting them it was by accident because a friend asked if there was anyplace he could take his two teenage sons. My cousin lives on a farm near Mound City/Squaw Creek and had often mentioned the migration so I asked him if we could come up and hunt. That was in 2011. We killed 9 geese on A pond jump and were ridiculed fiercely by my 75 year old farmer uncle who claimed their were 10,000 Geese on that pond and he could have killed 9 with a BB gun. True story!

It was a slow, painful, and very expensive learning curve. The smartest, best thing that happened was we joined forces with our main local competitor and eventually built new friendships, and grew our 1,000 bird, 2 rotary spread to a 3,500 bird, 10 rotary spread over the last 3 years. We also now have redundancy with e-callers so when one went down, we had 2 backup 4 speaker systems. And we custom built some big rotaries, 2 14 bird and one 18 bird. Our former competitor was a QB in college and got to know some local college ball players and he would trade sweat equity by allowing them to hunt if they helped setup and tear down the spread. This helped us 50 year olds out a lot and it's always fun seeing the sport through young eyes.

I'm spoiled and I know it. But I also remember paying my dues and killing nothing over dekes the first 2 years...did everything wrong. If I was smart, I would have quit. Luckily, I'm hard-headed. Started with all silhouettes, had stereo speakers that Flared geese vs monotone PA speakers that work, didn't realize the importance of making blinds disappear with corn stubble husks in every strap and filling in between layouts to make it alook like a terrace versus 8 blinds, modulating volume on e-caller like you would a duck call, no motion decoys/rotaries, and the list goes on.
Where I'm spoiled the most has been the new friendships, the former competitor/college QB and a local. We have become good friends over the last few years along with a few other guys I met joining forces. There's not a selfish one in the group. Nobody has to kill the first, last, or all the geese. We look out for each other and swap ends if the geese start sliding to one side. Whenever we go to eat at night, someone's always cutting off the waitress and paying the entire tab, or running to town mid-day and coming back with 4 pizzas. The hunt becomes secondary to the people but it's the hunt and the migration that pulls us all together.
Good luck with the tungsten loads you pulled together and let me know what's working best for you. I'll do the same.

Sincerely,
James

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Heck I want an invite to go get snows. I grew up in Katy Texas before it became Houston and we had a blast killing geese. Nice job and great reports.

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Return to “Waterfowl”