Throwback swamp shoot

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

hawglips

Throwback swamp shoot

Postby hawglips » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 am

My brother who moved out west 35 years ago came home to visit and get in a duck hunt. We grew up hunting off Currituck and Albemarle Sounds in NC, but it’s been a long time since he’s hunted wood ducks.

We went to a corner of our old stomping grounds this past weekend, and it was just like old times.

He was shooting a 20 ga Rem 870 with a skeet choke and 1 oz of TSS 8-1/2s.

I was shooting a Franchi 48AL 28 ga ga with a light skeet choke and 7/8 oz of 8-1/2s.

As is typically the situation, with early morning, low light pass shooting around there, the shots are at fast flying, dipping and diving ducks. The limit is 3 apiece, and without a dog in the that swamp, the retrieve isn't guaranteed. With the exception of the 1 duck that wasn't hit hard and got away, all six dropped out like rocks.

In recent years I've been shooting lighter loads of smaller sized shot, but didn't really notice any difference in effectiveness.

bullet225ho

Re: Throwback swamp shoot

Postby bullet225ho » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Way to go!!

Thats a good lookin swamp. Do the birds not want to set were you guys are hunting?

hawglips

Re: Throwback swamp shoot

Postby hawglips » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:19 am

bullet225ho wrote:Way to go!!

Thats a good lookin swamp. Do the birds not want to set were you guys are hunting?

They use that area in early Oct feeding on knotweed and tupelo gum berries. They mostly fly through so it's primary pass shooting with some wanting to land nearby. We use calls but no decoys.

Return to “Waterfowl”