Choke for TSS

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

Dave in AZ

Re: Choke for TSS

Postby Dave in AZ » Tue May 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Good video, and your explanation was pretty good too. Thanks for taking the time to post that for us.

Wow that's a different kind of hunting.
Only thing even close to that here in the US is hunting predators (coyote, bobcat) at night where you might have a "wounded rabbit" decoy and audio and you bring them in and shoot them with scoped rifle. I can't think of anything else you can hunt at night really (possom, racoons with dogs maybe?).

I would miss a huge amount without the "wingshooting".

Fabalis

Postby Fabalis » Thu May 12, 2016 1:24 pm

You know, the migrating birds make there migration almost all the time during the night and so this is a manner to hunt them when they are there !

This is a very old tradition in the north of France, since more than 1 century. We don't have a lot of big water zones and so not a lot of stationery population of ducks. We need to hunt where the birds are there and so during there migrations.

Hunting during the night is not so easy and it's a very particular atmosphere... You have time to cook and have a good dinner with friends. And during the night, stay awake with only the sounds of ducks, alone in the bay, is just magic, especially with a full moon.

But I'm pretty sure yan can understand this type of feeling...

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon May 16, 2016 5:29 pm

I like the scene your words paint! It does sound magical, especially once a tradition has been built up around it. I can imagine sitting in that shack with my kids, making a nice camp meal while we wait-- they would love that. Staying up all night is still a big thing for them heh. It would be a bit like deer camp I think, but with ducks... I do love both things, but the entire camp experience and camaraderie is definitely what makes it great for me (with deer), not as much the actual deer. So I can only think that adding more of that sort of feeling, at least sometimes, to a duck hunting outing would really make for some great memories with my kids.

With kids who haven't learned patience and discipline as much as some adults, a bit of comfort and food and the ability to move a bit can help make hunting more enjoyable for them as they just get into it.

I think a lot of Americans might have a hard time coming to grips with your style of hunting since it's so different, but you make some great points on when the game is available. In fact, that's the first time anyone has mentioned to me that the ducks migrate at night-- I always just assumed they slept on a pond somewhere and flew during the day heh. Anyways, having lived in England and bird hunted with a landowning buddy, I got the chance to see that folks do things differently in different places, and it's usually a good thing. At the time I didn't have almost any experience hunting in the US-- I was 22 or so, and flying A-10s over there for the USAF, and we'd go hunting duck, pheasant, wood pigeon and rabbits after work. Rabbit hunting was all done at night, and pheasant hunting with beaters etc. was totally different than in the US. When I got back to the US and started hunting HERE, it was OUR way of doing things that seemed odd to me in many instances ;) Certainly my first social Texas dove hunt was a shocker! There was a LOT to be said for the English method of following a hunt with sherry and pints at the pub! I'm hoping there is some pastis and cheese involved in your hunts!

I'll certainly be interested in hearing more about your hunts Fabalis!
Best Regards,
Dave

Return to “Waterfowl”