choosing shot size - optimal balance between pattern density and pellet penetration

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Fabalis

Re: choosing shot size - optimal balance between pattern density and pellet penetration

Postby Fabalis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:37 am

With that rule I have made a excel sheet in order to choose the load function of the TSS size and the species.

Maybe it's not so accurate but It's better than nothing...

So in blue, there is the optimal load but it works also in green. The white cells don't have enough penetration. In yellow, the penetration is just a little bit under the limit (1 mm less)

Sorry for the units but it's easier for me. So the Load are in grams not in Grains and the distance in meters.

I have made also a link in the waterfowl part of the forum.

cheers

hawglips

Re: choosing shot size - optimal balance between pattern density and pellet penetration

Postby hawglips » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Fabalis, that's a great chart, by the way.

Thanks for putting that together.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Nice job Fabalis!
I think that's quite useful.
It looks like for your pellets required numbers (110, 150, 190), you're assuming about a 75% pattern percentage or so to get the numbers listed in CONSEP? (85-90, 115-120, 135-145)
That seems pretty reasonable. Now I need to figure out how many grains are in a gram and memorize that!
;)

Fabalis

Postby Fabalis » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:19 am

For the calculation, I assume the pattern is 100% at 40 yards and after it's a simple calculation withe the .7 rule. I checked with a few real exemples in France and it works great.

For exemple, 3/3 shovelers (you know we shoot landed) at 72 yards with a 40 gr of #8 which is almost too big for that.

Fishh2o
Site Admin

Postby Fishh2o » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:34 am

Fabalis wrote:For the calculation, I assume the pattern is 100% at 40 yards and after it's a simple calculation withe the .7 rule. I checked with a few real exemples in France and it works great.

For exemple, 3/3 shovelers (you know we shoot landed) at 72 yards with a 40 gr of #8 which is almost too big for that.

It keeps slipping my mind that you guys reach out and touch them on the water. It had been a while since I watched that video so I had to go back to you tube and watch again.. I kind of want to fly to France and give it a try one days.

I like that chart also it give a quick reference and Dave the numbers still fall kind of close to CONSEP the #s could be tweaked just a little.

Thanks Fabalis!

-FishH2o

Roll with it. If you stay above 55 the wheel wont fall off.

Return to “TSS”