410 Turkey load

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

phillip.imamura

410 Turkey load

Postby phillip.imamura » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm

I finally got all the components to load some TSS 9 with the load data I got from Hal. How does TSS 9 compare (shot size) with a lead turkey load. Going to get out next week to pattern the load (30, 40 and 50 yds).

hawglips

Re: 410 Turkey load

Postby hawglips » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 pm

phillip.imamura wrote:I finally got all the components to load some TSS 9 with the load data I got from Hal. How does TSS 9 compare (shot size) with a lead turkey load. Going to get out next week to pattern the load (30, 40 and 50 yds).

The way that I think is most meaningful, is to compare penetration energy, since that's what matters when it comes to fowl. By that measure, TSS #9 compares to lead #4.

So, due to the similarity in pellet penetration energy, and the differences in pellet counts (360/oz vs 135/oz) a 20 ga loaded with 1-5/8 oz of TSS 9s is about like a 4-1/4 oz of lead #4s. And a 13/16 oz .410 load of 9s would be like 2-1/8 oz of lead #4s.... 8-)

I can still fondly recall the day years back when I discovered that my .410 with TSS became a more deadly turkey weapon than the 12 ga 1-7/8 oz of lead #4s I used to shoot.

hawglips

Re: 410 Turkey load

Postby hawglips » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Here's an explanation I wrote a while back:

When it comes to shotgun pellets and fowl, what determines a pellet's lethality is penetration. And penetration depth is determined by the energy per surface area of the pellet. Weight does not determine this - it's weight per area. If two pellets weigh the same, but one is smaller, the smaller one will penetrate deeper because the energy is focused on a smaller surface area on contact and is not dissipated over as wide an area.

As for comparing 18g/cc tungsten pellets vs lead (11g/cc), a Super-18 pellet will have about the same penetration energy as a lead pellet 5 sizes larger. So, a Super-18 #9 pellet will penetrate into soft matter at approximately the same depth as a Lead #4 pellet. However, in real life scenarios, on real birds, the Super-18 will actually do better vs lead, because of hardness. It will break bones better, or any other hard material, because of it's hardness and lack of flattening out when it comes into contact with any surface.

For illustration, here's a comparison of pellets of various shot material. Let's say that each pellet is going 1100 fps (muzzle velocity), at sea level and at 70 deg F. Here's the distance each type pellet will give you 1.25" of ballistics gel penetration, as well as showing the number of pellets per ounce. When you think about the penetration per pellet along with the number of pellets available to penetrate the target, these numbers will illustrate why density makes such a huge difference in a shotshell's performance on fowl.

8g/cc Steel #2 (123/oz) – 45.7 yds
11g/cc Nickel Plated lead #5 (174/oz) – 60.4 yds
12g/cc Hevi-13 #6 (208/oz) – 60.4 yds
15g/cc Fed HWT #7 (220/oz) – 81 yds
18g/cc TSS #8-1/2 (300/oz) – 84.5 yds

In addition to penetration energy and pellet count, there is a 3rd factor that doesn't show up in the math - patterning characteristics. In a nutshell, the denser and harder the shot material, the better the pellets will hold together in a pattern.

Return to “TSS”