New 28ga for my TSS shells

Firearms and firearm modifications

Moderator: hawglips

Cockeye

New 28ga for my TSS shells

Postby Cockeye » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Decided on a franchi 48 al 26" 5# 10oz cabelas has them on sale in the gun library should be here in less than a week. Can't wait!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave in AZ

Re: New 28ga for my TSS shells

Postby Dave in AZ » Wed May 03, 2017 3:55 pm

That's a really nice looking gun.
My understanding is that the Franchi Al-48 is basically the same operating system, long recoil gas, as the Browning Auto5 and the Rem 11-48, all being copied from the Auto5 John Browning design. I have a 28ga 11-48 from my grandfather, which was one of two guns I owned for 21 years or so. I expect that Franchi will be similar, though it's of course more modern and much better looking.

28ga is just a great platform for TSS, because you don't have to fill up the wad with all sorts of fillers-- it seems to me to be the perfect sized volume/hull for the TSS pellet counts and sizes. Every time I start from basics and work upwards, with # of pellets needed to kill and penetration ranges, to required payload, to a shell that holds that payload without excess space needing to be filled up, I arrive at 28ga if it's pure TSS.

I think you'll like your new gun!

Return to “Firearms”