hello from NC

Please introduce yourself.

Moderator: hawglips

BPS

hello from NC

Postby BPS » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:49 pm

Hey all been looking at starting to load the tss shot for ducks and coyotes. I'm new to shot shell reloading but have been loading for pistol and rifle for about 10 years. Looking forward to learning from y'all.

paulinkansas

Re: hello from NC

Postby paulinkansas » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Tell us what shotshell reloading equipment and supplies you have? What press, what hulls you have, wads, powder, patterning board, gun, choke etc.

BPS

Postby BPS » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 pm

I have a Browning A5 (new one) with the factory chokes it came with and a patternmaster code black duck that I'd have to look for to find because I never really liked it. I also have an old Auto 5 with a Belgian barrel and a fixed improved cyl barrel I would really like to be able to hunt ducks with from time to time. As for equipment I bought a mec 600jr mark v. I don't have any hulls, wads, or special shotgun powder yet other than maybe a few different pistol powders. I'm pretty much starting from scratch. For a patterning board I have a 5x8 sheet of plywood we hang targets on for rifles that I can use for pattern testing. For my duck loads I'm thinking about stacking tss and steel. MY coyote loads I'll go straight tss, but I need something that will take down a pig if need be. Several of the farms that I hunt have pigs come through them but the landowners will not allow us to bait because they don't want them hanging around the farm all the time so we just shoot them as we see them. Also we get some big pigs around here so not sure if that matters on the shot size or not, my largest to date weighed 325lbs but that's rare and we normally shoot them in the 200lb range.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Wed May 01, 2019 4:28 pm

You have a reloader that will work. I presume you have a scale. You'll need to weigh each powder load and shot payload individually. You're mainly using the reloader for depriming, priming and crimping. As far as the charge bar goes, I'm not going to discuss the pros cons of bushings vs a universal charge bar.

Stick with one hull. I suggest Federal GM's and Federal primers. You'll have one powder, Alliant Steel.
I suggest buying the Lightning Steel manual from Precision Reloading. I also suggest their wads. You can also look on Alliant Powders website and get recipes.

As far as duplexing goes, I take a published recipe for a 1.0 oz load with a 1.0 oz wad and sub the same style wad with a .875 wad of the same style. You can also sub a 1.0 wad for a recipe calling for 1.125 oz of steel. When you duplex, the TSS that is replacing the steel shot will take less volume than the steel shot. If you duplex a 1.0 oz steel and TSS load in a 1.0 oz wad, it will not fill up the shot cup in the wad and you'll have a dished in crimp. The 1.0 oz duplex will fit in a .875 oz wad. A 1.125 oz duplex will fit in a 1.0 oz wad. All killer, no filler.

I sub .25 oz of TSS for .25 oz of steel shot in duplex loads. The TSS goes on the bottom, steel shot goes on top. You don't need blazing fast speed either. 1500 fps is probably overkill.

BPS

Postby BPS » Wed May 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get started ordering the components and the manual. My goal in my duck loads is to get as close as possible in speed to what I practice with.

UPEgger

Postby UPEgger » Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Welcome aboard. Lots of good people and good info here.

Carl L.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am

All the recipes in Lightning Steel use the TUWSBL24 or 28 wad. I would get 2 bags of each. As far as steel shot goes, you can't go wrong with 10 lbs of #1, #2 and #3. B and #4 are kind of the ends of extremes for waterfowl. They also take up more or less space in the wad than 1, 2 or 3 shot do.

BPS

Postby BPS » Tue May 07, 2019 3:21 pm

I ordered the book, I can't order everything right now at once since I just started a new job and it will take a bit for my commission checks to start rolling in. I target diver ducks mostly, should I even duplex seeing as most of my shots are 30 plus yards?

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Tue May 07, 2019 10:43 pm

After reading your last post, honestly I wouldn't recommend you shooting duplex loads with TSS. TSS gives you a greater range, 50-60 yards. I have an electric clay thrower and practice at 40, 50 and 60 yard shots. Am I perfect, no way. It's my opinion that you would be better off shooting straight steel with the recipes from that manual. If you want to upgrade from steel, try bismuth shot. Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong.

Return to “Introductions”