SX3

Open discussion on all things 16 Gauge.

Moderator: hawglips

continental shooter

SX3

Postby continental shooter » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:10 am

Hi guys,

I got an SX3 with factory chokes

I am looking to see if it's wort getting some new choke and wonder what your suggestions are for waterfowl shooting, non toxic shots and ranges below 55 yds mixed duck and geese (never know which is coming)

might take the odd head on, passing geese shot but that'll be the exception; everything else, whether decoyed or not will be below 55 yds.

Many Thanks,

P.coverts

Re: SX3

Postby P.coverts » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Well really depends what shells you are using, and some pattern testing 55 yards out of my confidence zone, my usual shots are 20-35.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:01 am

I have a SX3 too. I bought a Kick High Flyer Extra Full, can't see much of a difference between it and the factory chokes. Save your money, try patterning your factory chokes first.

continental shooter

Postby continental shooter » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:34 pm

hi all,

Thanks for the replies, someone suggested a Carslon's choke

TBH i never really bough an aftermarket choke and always use factory ones but my brother is adamant some works better (although not sure what better means)
I'll stick to the ones i have as I'm ok with how they pattern and if i put the pellets where the bird is; they normally come down

Cheers,

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:39 pm

I have a 20ga sx3 also. Any patterns or percentage I post are always out of it for 20ga. I like the factory IC and Mod fine for it. However, I did buy a Carlsons stainless sporting extended LM for it and sprayed it dark greenish, and have to say I do like it. Mostly because of the barrel protection it offers, my kids have banged the end of the barrel into stuff a few times. So I think at $25 or so it's worth it for muzzle.protection, and the patterns w #3 steel at 40 yds are a wee bit more even than the perfectly acceptable factory chokes. Maybe. Hard to tell, but not worse.

Also, my plan was to swap out this and IC for bismuth or steel, and Im in layout boat so hand screwing them in and out seemed easier. I never really did the swapping though. And now I think full choke for bismuth.

continental shooter

Postby continental shooter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:59 am

Thanks Dave,

I think Factory it is given the problem we get on importing from US

Cheers,

Return to “20 Gauge”