Nitro 27

General data and information handloading data

Moderator: hawglips

TNRIDGERUNNER

Nitro 27

Postby TNRIDGERUNNER » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:59 am

Do you guys have any experience loading the gold Remington Nitro 27 skeet hulls? I'm a beginner, but I believe I can probably get my hands on these a little easier due to having to shoot them in my old Remington 1100 magnum 3" gun (gun won't cycle other light loads well). I am interested in using these hulls for duplex steel x tss loads for waterfowl hunting. How do they compare to the federals? I see these are tapered hulls vs. being straight walled. Will that make any difference? I notice in my steel shot reloading manuals that the data calls for the same wad as shared by the federal gold medal hulls in many recipes (TUPRW12). Thanks for any info.

hawglips

Re: Nitro 27

Postby hawglips » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:03 am

You can't use the Rem hulls with the data using Fed, Fio etc. A lot of my load data is low PSI, so it is probably safe to load in the Rem hulls, but as a rule of thumb it's never a good idea to swap hulls like that...

TNRIDGERUNNER

Postby TNRIDGERUNNER » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Right on, Hawglips. I was actually referring to building some new loads with the Remington hull to have precision reloading to test for me before ever even firing one and wondered how folks here rated the hull. (I have a bunch of these hulls and read that they were a good reload shell), but I found a good one time deal and bought some federal gold medal hulls for the recipe's you provided to me. From the manuals I've rexently read, I understand it's a strict rule to never substitute components. You are a Grade A guy Hal. Thanks for all your help!

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:54 pm

I like those Nitro hulls because of the color, but they reload the same as Rem Gun Club, STS, American Clay and Field, Nitro27, and hmm... one other they make I think. BEST hull for reloading things like skeet IMO.
However, on anything where you're using steel shot, the volume is just too small in those and it drives the pressures up-- so no one uses them or provides data for them. There are maybe 4 decent loads for them with steel shot, 2 in Lightning Steel and maybe 2 in the wad sheets for TUWSBL 1oz wads from Precision Reloading. Think they are all 1oz loads.

When you're making a duplex steel /tss load, you're looking to start with a viable tested load, and again there just aren't many tested steel loads with those hulls. ALSO, I'd guess most folks are duplexing to save $$ and use as much steel shot as able, then swap in enough TSS to get pellet counts up as needed. Again, if you're doing that then you'd probably rather be using a hull that lets you get 1500 fps and 1-1/8oz of steel, which you can't do with the Nitro27.

I bought 2 boxes of that stuff and shot it at the range, specifically because I wanted the hulls to give a visual distinction on reloads. Haven't decided what to use them for, probably a bismuth load though. But they were more kick than I usually have with my 3/4oz 12ga skeet reloads ;)
Good luck!

TNRIDGERUNNER

Postby TNRIDGERUNNER » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:22 pm

What about using the 2 3/4" Federal Gold Medals for duplex loads? I have a BUNCH of them now as well. It'd be nice to use them for duplexes as well if there is enough room in the hull to make it work. Of course, anything I load will be headed to precision first for testing for safety.

derbyacresbob

Postby derbyacresbob » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:29 am

If Hal or Dave in AZ gave me a duplex load data for FGM hulls for TSS shot and Steel shot I wouldn't hesitate to use that data.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:43 am

When I worked up a couple duplex loads with the Fed unibody hulls, I started with some published steel Gold Medal hull data as a baseline. As a rule of thumb, replacing some of the steel with TSS in such a load will lower psi as a general rule, but you have some space to fill. Also, taking my data with the unibody Fed 2-3/4" hulls and using Gold Medal hulls instead, will generally raise psi - but since my unibody data puts out low psi, it may not be enough of a change to worry too much about.

Return to “General and Beginners Information”