Federal Top Gun Hulls (RIO?)

General data and information handloading data

Moderator: hawglips

Ghillie_55

Federal Top Gun Hulls (RIO?)

Postby Ghillie_55 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:00 pm

So I picked up some Hulls at the local gun club this week. Sorting out the Federal top guns, I noticed some had fiber base, and some had a white plastic base.

In the picture below, the two hulls on the left have fiber base, the four on the right have white plastic base. I definetly know that all of the hulls that had a gold band, those had the plastic base. I did find other maroon hulls with the silver brass that have white base. All the white and blue hulls had white.

So through some searches It seems that RIO produced the hulls that have the white base in them? And any euro data for Cheddite loads could be used in these white base hulls?

Thanks!

IMG_1354.JPG

4 hulls on right with White plastic base

IMG_1355.jpg

2 hulls on left with fiber base

IMG_1356.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

derbyacresbob

Re: Federal Top Gun Hulls (RIO?)

Postby derbyacresbob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:08 pm

In your first picture the 3rd hull from the right looks like the Federal Field and Target hulls with the white plastic base wad.

I have reloaded lots of these hulls for shooting Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. I put Rio primers in them because I heard that Win 209 primers will fall out of the Rio made Federal hulls.

Ghillie_55

Postby Ghillie_55 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:28 pm

derbyacresbob wrote:In your first picture the 3rd hull from the right looks like the Federal Field and Target hulls with the white plastic base wad.

Yes, my first picture, all 4 on the right have the white base wad. So do you load these up with RIO data?

derbyacresbob

Postby derbyacresbob » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm

I looked at the Rio and Federal data. I ended up loading 1 oz and 1-1/16 oz loads using Noble Sport Vectan AS powder with CB-6100 wads.

The crimps came out better using 1-1/16 oz of shot in the 1 oz wads.

Return to “General and Beginners Information”