Heading for Texas in about 24hrs

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

bullet225ho

Heading for Texas in about 24hrs

Postby bullet225ho » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:56 am

Hey folks,

I got back from Jamaica last night and I'm taking a couple of days to recoup and heading to West Texas in about 12hrs for my annual TX duck/hog/quail/trapping excursion.

I'll be hunting with my 28ga Semi Auto with loads of #8.5tss/#4steel duplex, #4 steel, #5 steel and #7 Hw-15/4 steel duplex. Also taking 410 Semi Auto and a 410 side by side with #10tss/#4steel duplex and #6 Steel loads.

Strictly sub gauge trip and every shot fired will be hand loaded ammo. I'm curious to see how the smaller steel shot does at close range and I'm really excited about the 410.

We usually get a mixed bag this time of year and can expect over 10 different species of duck. I just hope that this storm up north pushes some more birds down that way soon.

I'll try and post some pics up when I can.

hawglips

Re: Heading for Texas in about 24hrs

Postby hawglips » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Looking forward to a trip report with pics!

Have a great hunt!

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 am

That sounds like fun. In 14 months I'll be going to Argentina for a dove hunt. 4 guys, 4 wives, 4 days.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:41 pm

I talked to bullet the other day, I'm sure he'll post a writeup. His 28ga return spring on the Pointer broke, so he was limited to the 410, which wiped out a lot of his good hand-loads for the 28. Sounded like he had enough left and also parts to make a bit more. So I think it will be a solid .410 hunt, should be some really good info if they get birds! Looking forward to hearing more from him!

bullet225ho

Postby bullet225ho » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:13 pm

Hey folks,

Just got back from Texas. Had a great time visiting my friend and his family. The hunting wasn't so great though. High water and warm temps had low duck numbers and the ducks that where there where scattered. Added to that, I had issues with my pointer 28 and my hand loads with the 410 G2 gave me some cycling issues.

With that being said. First morning we hunted an area that was full of birds last two years. This year was not so good. I missed a teal at first light with the 28 on the first shot and the second shot was nothing. Shell was loaded up to the brass. I guess I was lucky as that was the only bird I got a shot at that morning.

went back that evening and took the gun apart and the return spring was broken at the bottom about 3 coils up. I flipped the spring and cleaned the gun from top to bottom.

Second morning went to a different tank. That morning I had the 28 and the 410 Semi. First group of birds were Gadwalls on my first shot I got a double on the gadwalls....yep 2 in one shot and that was with 3/4oz #5 steel at about 25 yards. My buddy took one of the other pair on his side of the blind. It's a good thing I lucked out on the double as the gun failed to cycle the second round. I cased it and pulled out the viper G2 in 410 second bird in came in from our right and I took it at about 40 yds as it skimmed the spread....Ring Neck hen. dish rag dead. 10 TSS/4 steel duplex. Second group were Widgeon...I missed first shot and my second shot didn't fire. My buddy took a drake. looked the gun over and the new shell was not completely in the chamber. pushed forward and pressed on. group of teal...I miss...no second shot. My buddy finished on the rest of the birds and we ended up with 8 total. I took the gun apart and every thing looked fine. I had a box of factory AA-HS loads in the truck and they cycled fine. I've come to the conclusion that my reloads and the G2 don't like each other. They are kind of stiff going in. I guess it's my fault as I never loaded the gun up when patterning ...I just put one in chamber and shot the pattern shot...it ejected and I figured I was good.

day 2.jpg

So....Third day was 410 SxS At least I had 2 good shots with it. Because of my buddies family obligations we had to go to the first hole that had low duck #s. It was only 10 minutes from my buddies house and he took me to the hole and dropped me off and then he came back. I shot a gadwall drake at first light. Then a pair of shovelers came in... I shot the drake at around 35yds about 3 feet off the water and then shot the hen as she was leaving around 40yds The hen hunched up....flew about 40yds and like a glider slowly drifted into the water. TSS body hit...dead as a door nail. about 30 min later I got a text from Nick stating he was on his way and as I was hitting send on the phone I hear wing beats.....I look up and it's a big bird....he was banking so I didn't call....he got the wind lined up and was cupped. One shot later at about 30yds....Canvas Back drake.....All birds that day were with 410 TSS duplx 4/8oz 10 and 1/8oz 4 steel.

day 3.jpg

Last day was at a new hole called "tank #9" known for holding mallards.

morning looked great..first blue sky morning yet and the birds hit us pretty good. Divers bombed in at first light...NIck killed 2 and I never pulled up my gun. LOL Then two teal bailed in from behind us...again, nick was up and smashed one just off the water and second bird was down before I could pull the trigger. He was 4 birds in before I had taken a shot. third group were ring necks.. I actually pulled a 2 for on them...6 birds in and I got a drake per shot at around 25 and 35 yds. Nick took a drake and missed the leavers. Action slowed for a bout 15, then off from the right....hear air flying over wings....4 teal locked up over our right shoulders.....I take a drake and nick also gets a drake. (I missed second shot) he's 5 birds in now. About 30 min later another single teal bails in from the right. I swing, shoot and hes down. It got real slow. about an hour later as we were about to pull decoys....literally from know where from behind us a gadwall hen and drake are locked up over the spread we pull up and I shoot 2 times at the bird on the right. He dropped his bird. My bird was leaving the tank and then started to slow down...then started to lose altitude. It dropped outside of tank (about 100yds away...you can see the dam behind me in the pic below) I walked over and it was on the other side of the damn beyond the mesquite trees on the damn....stone dead...TSS body hit. that bird was hit between 35-45yds. Gadwall hen.
day4haul.jpg

Day 4 tank view.

day4hole.jpg

day4hole2.jpg

day4hole3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Great pics and writeup! Thanks , really fun to read. Makes me lean toward o/u or sxs even more now with handloads. Thats a lot of decoys on that one pond! Glad to hear you had success and fun.
I went out last night, saw just one wigeon 90 yds away.
Went out again this am, saw just one mallard drake and bagged him with bismuth 4s. Was using my 12ga cynergy camo ou, as I shot a 24 in skeet with it on wed so felt confident with it. 9/8 oz in a win aacf 12ga hull. So while you didnt get limits, you had a lot more action than me for sure!

bullet225ho

Postby bullet225ho » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:55 pm

After shooting basically single shots the first two days....yes the double seems to be just fine. One thing also is I've seen on these types of hunts when the wind is blowing 15mph plus...the 3rd shot is going to be pushing the ability to actually hit the bird. The TSS will do the job but when you figure wind and speed of a leaving bird....It's tough...hard to practice that particular shot scenario. With that being said...My buddy nailed a Widgeon drake leaving the spread at no less than 50 yrds with HG loads of 3 steel that I loaded for him. It was his 3rd shot and I actually had sat back down. When he shot...I looked over to the left to see a bird folded up falling from the sky. My eyes got real big and all i could think is Holly Sh!@ !!

The spread you see there is actually smaller than we normally take in. That spread had a dozen mallards, dozen gadwall, dozen widgeon, dozen teal and half dozen pintail. Those decoys fit into two bags and on Tank #9 we have to walk in about 1/4 mile. So, It's a one trip deal and no easy driving the truck up to the tank.

All other hunts we had 6-7 dozen decoys. same as above but also red head and canvas back decoys added to the spread. I've always had better luck with more decoys as long as they are placed properly. You'll notice the Teal are in small groups next to the bank the widgeon are mixed with the mallards and the gadwall have just landed and swimming in to the bank in the infamous "j" that leaves a little hole for the incomers to hit. Wind was a bit off that morning and birds were hitting at far end of "j" at around 30yds (except the teal....they were in tight...gun barell to the head close)

Return to “Waterfowl”