Who do you buy your components from?

A place to talk about reloading and handloading equipment.

Moderator: hawglips

caniborrowsomeammo

Who do you buy your components from?

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Hopefully, I'll be ordering my components soon. Just curious, who you all are ordering your new hulls, wads, powder, wraps, under/overshot cards, etc. from?
Good experience, bad experience? :shock:

Also, I'm interested in a roll crimp die like the Gaep, is it worth purchasing? Is it a necessity, or can I do without?

paulinkansas

Re: Who do you buy your components from?

Postby paulinkansas » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:52 am

Try to buy your powder and primers in person from a bricks and mortar store. As far as hulls & wads, it's a toss up between Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading for me. Right now I'm getting pretty good results with a duplex load in a 3" cheddite hull with a TPS wad and a 6 point crimp with Alliant Steel powder and a 1/8" felt spacer on the bottom of the wad.
20191114_111016.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:53 am

That ^ is at 40 yards. The paper is 36" wide. 1/4 oz TSS #9 and 1.0 oz steel #2 at 1360 fps.

caniborrowsomeammo

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks Paul, nice pattern. What choke was that with, C, I/C, M ? Just to give me a starting point. Though I know most chokes will shoot differently than others depending on load, alas the search for the perfect choke.
I have a Sportsmans Warehouse a few miles away. Hopefully they will have the powder Hal has in his load workups. Though they have a limited supply of components there it seems, catering more towards trap and skeet. Not a lot of steel components either, even though I'm in Commie California.
I'm waiting on Hal to email me an invoice so I can get payment sent, then get working on gathering components.

paulinkansas

Postby paulinkansas » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:04 pm

It was shot through an SBE I with a Carlson's Medium Range choke. That choke comes in a 3 pack, short - medium - long range. So that's probably an IC or LM.

20191005_120905.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

caniborrowsomeammo

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:40 pm

I ordered my components today from BP. Going to use a duplex load from Hal.
They were out of 1's and 2's so I went with 3's for duck.
Ordered ASteel as none locally- had to eat the HazMat charge. But I got $5 shipping on the rest. :shock:
I figure it will be a week or so before I put shot to shell, maybe by then some weather will start blowing in.

caniborrowsomeammo

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:11 pm

Well, my first order from BP finally got here. I think it was 8 days, with the turkey holiday. My 2nd order comes on Wednesday- 7 days with a delay of they were "out" of stock on a wad I ordered, miraculously they found a bag when I was going to cancel my order.
Just ordered 2's and BB from Midway with free shipping deal, but to get free shipping I had to order anything other than shot over 49 bucks. So I ordered a Lee Press, to compare it speedwise with my Jr. (hey, I will be weighing powder and shot on an electronic, then a beam anyway).
Finally some weather, but with hunting, I'm backed up on chores. Will get some reloads made up and shot on Wednesday.

Return to “Handloading supplies”