Wad slits

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

North Alabama Hunter

Wad slits

Postby North Alabama Hunter » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:31 pm

I’m looking for a Wad Slitter so I can experiment with number of slits and how deep to cut slits. I want one so I can keep slits equally apart. I’ve seen a few on YouTube but not able to find where to get one. Thanks in advance for your reply

paulinkansas

Re: Wad slits

Postby paulinkansas » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:54 pm

I just use a box cutter with a fresh blade. It's not rocket science mayne.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:19 pm

Dale Wildman sometimes has some for sale.

Dale Wildman
724-998-1791
GAEP crimper and trimmers

caniborrowsomeammo

Postby caniborrowsomeammo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:34 pm

Well, I use a 3 blade broadhead to start my slits and finish with a grape pruning knife.
I started with a 4 blade broadhead, but found for me, a 3 blade worked better. My slits are done by hand to an approximate 2/3 depth. I don't treat it like rocket science. ;)

fnsup

Postby fnsup » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:42 am

Your on the right track wanting to be able to consistently cut slits in your wads. Last year I did quite a bit of testing. I was able to fine tune my shot pattern for my Rem 870 12 gauge by adjusting the length of the slits that I cut.

What I ended up with was four evenly spaced slits cut down to 6mm from the bottom of the petal. I cut a wood dowel 6mm in thickness that I drop into the wad as a blade stop, and then I use a small utility knife with the blade open enough to cut both sides of the wad. I then put the wad on a paper template with a cross hair pattern to be able to line the razor blades up with and make two cuts perpendicular to each other until they hit the piece of dowel. This gives me 4 slits.

If I take my time, I can get pretty consistent results. By changing the length of the slits from all the way down the wad... to eventually for my gun 6mm from the bottom I was able to change my pattern density.

Attached is a 40yrd target, with 398 TSS #9 pellets in a 10" diameter circle around the most dense portion of the pattern. It made a difference for me by testing different options on how the slits in the wad were cut and what length worked best for consistent high density patterns. Also dropping half the shot and half the buffer then vibrating, then adding the remaining shot and buffer then vibrating helped with consistency. (2oz TSS #9 with Indian Creek Black Diamond .665 Choke Tube - Updated April 2020)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “TSS”