Rethinking my duplex load

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

jim-22

Rethinking my duplex load

Postby jim-22 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:43 pm

My load this year for large ducks and geese at long range was 3/8 oz TSS no. 8 plus 3/4 oz no. B steel. This performed really well for me. After more research on the charts and penetration, it seems my successful load was likely due in a very large part to the TSS (95 pellets) which was a long distance bone buster and probably not much to do with the B (65 pellets) which basically served as a spacer. I never shot a duck close enough with this load to make hamburger. I am thinking now of trying a load of 1/4 oz TSS no. 8 plus 3/4 oz no. T steel, to match more closely the long-range killing power of the two pellets. This reduced payload will give me an increase in speed from 1460 to 1540 fps as well as reduce the cost of TSS per shell by 50%. This will give me 65 pellets of TSS 8 and 39 pellets of steel T. Any comments?

james.moffat

Re: Rethinking my duplex load

Postby james.moffat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello Jim,

We used a very close load, 3/8oz #8 TSS and 7/8oz T Steel, but not as fast as you are pushing it. We were very pleased with the results on long range snow geese, primarily juvies and Ross's geese, which are smaller. My guess is you are on the right track as you say, steel B's run out of velocity/penetration before the TSS 8's, which are a close match in ballistics with T Steel. Light modified did well for long range with this load. Good luck.
James

derbyacresbob

Postby derbyacresbob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:17 pm

jim-22, that load with 104 pellets in it looks pretty good to me and the penetration on the TSS #8 and Steel T shot are pretty close to being the same. I just compared it to a 1500 fps 1-1/4 oz load of steel BB shot and that makes your duplex load look even better.

After reading about your duplex load and james.moffat's duplex loads I dreamed up two of my own. LOL

I thought I had convinced myself that I didn't need to be spending anymore money on TSS shot, but after reading about both of your duplex loads I couldn't help it, I fell off the wagon. LOL

I had sixty 2-3/4" HW13 #2 shot 1-1/4 oz loads that I needed to take apart. I reloaded them in some new 2-3/4" Fiocchi primed hulls that I got a great deal on a few years ago. At the time I thought they were a great buy but I had quite a few bloopers with those hulls with 3 or 4 different loads that I put in them. I had two shells that the wad didn't even clear the barrel. So since I didn't trust the primers that were in those hulls I was going to take these shells apart anyway.

The duplex that I came up with was 1 oz of HW13 #2 shot "about 80 pellets" and 1/4 oz of TSS #7 shot "about 45 pellets". I was surprised when I checked on the KPY program that Rem HD #2 shot and TSS #7 shot gave the same penetration. This duplex load has right at 25 more pellets in it than the 1-1/4 oz load of HW13 #2 shot had in it. I use the Rem HD shot in KPY instead of HW13 shot because my pellet counts that I get are much closer to Rem HD shot than they are to what KPY shows for HW13 shot.

My other duplex load is 7/8 oz of Winchester Xtended Range B shot "about 48 pellets" and 1/2 oz of TSS #6 shot "about 68 pellets". I had 80 3" Federal hulls loaded with 1-1/2 oz of Win Xtended Range B shot " about 83 pellets". I wanted to go down to 1-3/8 oz of shot on these loads so I duplexed them with TSS #6 shot. By dropping the load down to 1-3/8 oz total with 1/2 oz of TSS #6 shot I gained about 33 pellets, up to right at 116 pellets per shell.

james.moffat

Postby james.moffat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 pm

DerbyacresBob,

I would like to be a fly on the side of the blind when you shoot both those loads, but particularly the second you listed. I’m curious if you will run out of pattern before you run out of lethal penetration? Good luck and I can’t wait to hear your results.

Sincerely,
James

derbyacresbob

Postby derbyacresbob » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:13 pm

I am pretty confident the pattern will fail way before it runs out of penetration on the Win Xtended Range B shot, TSS #6 shot duplex loads. LOL

I don't plan on shooting at real long ranges with these loads. It is a good feeling to have loads that I know I don't have to rush the shot when the guide yells takem.

james.moffat

Postby james.moffat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Hello Jim-22 and derbyacresBob,

I ran across these when storing some recent pics and thought you'd find interesting. This was from a year ago when I first started loading duplex steel/tungsten. These were patterns with #7 TSS and BBB Steel. It gives a good impression of how that load was working with a light modified at 40 yards. I can't see any pellets outside of the 30 inch circle. It also shows the difference between stacking 3/8oz steel over #7 TSS and vice versa. Tungsten on top holds tighter.

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

james.moffat

Postby james.moffat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:04 pm

Just to clarify before I start confusing people, the first target is tungsten under steel and has several pellets outside the 30 inch circle at 40 yards. The second target is steel under tungsten and I think only has 1 pellet outside the 30 inch circle at 40 yards. This was the load we were using at snows with good effect two weeks ago but most were in 7.5 Tungsten over BBB steel while only a few boxes were 7 tungsten over BBB steel. Hope this helps.

James

derbyacresbob

Postby derbyacresbob » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:43 am

Yesterday after finishing reloading the duplex loads with HW13 #2 shot & TSS#7 shot and the Win Xtended Range "B" shot and TSS #6 shot I had some TSS #6 and TSS #7 shot left over.

So I made eleven 1450 fps 1 oz 12 ga 2-3/4" loads with 1/2 oz of TSS #7 shot under 1/2 oz of TSS #6 shot. This 1 oz load should have right at 159 pellets per shell.

I can't wait for goose season!

james.moffat

Postby james.moffat » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:01 pm

DerbyacresBob,

Glad I’m not a goose in the flyway you hunt. I can’t wait to hear you’re results. If my TSS/steel blends were Thor’s hammer, your Tungsten loads are Zeus’ Lightening Bolts, even deadlier. My lesser loads felt like cheating vs steel. Yours
are what I would shoot if I was independently wealthy :).

James

derbyacresbob

Postby derbyacresbob » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:40 pm

If I shot hundreds of shotgun shells at geese every year I wouldn't load TSS shot for geese.

My main problem is I enjoy reloading really good shotgun shells as much if not more than I enjoy shooting them.LOL

Last season our guide took his shotgun out on the last day of our hunt. I gave him a few 1-1/8 oz TSS #5 shot loads to try. When a bunch of Specks came right in on us he let all of use empty our guns and then he shot at a Speck straight up over us that was close to 60 yards away. This goose was climbing straight up so you couldn't see it's head and neck.

That Speck was stone dead instantly, the guide couldn't believe what he just saw happen. Earlier that day after we shot into some snow geese tow or three of the guys I was with jumped out of the blind to retrieve the snow geese that we just knocked down.

One of the geese got up and started flying away. I put in a TSS #5 load in my gun and had to wait for the goose to fly off away from the guys picking up the birds. When the guide said go ahead and shoot I put a big lead on it and folded the goose up stone dead. The Guide said while laughing you must of put a huge lead on that bird.

I learned this last goose season that since I am using very good loads on geese I don't have to rush my shots. I can take a half second longer to pick out birds that are a little farther away or off to the side and shoot at them since they are still in good range. Most of the other guys are looking at the geese right in front of them that are really close and they are rushing their shots.

I started killing more birds when I took my time to shoot.

Return to “Waterfowl”