Waterproof-ish rool crimps?

General Chit Chat

Moderator: hawglips

P.coverts

Waterproof-ish rool crimps?

Postby P.coverts » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:33 pm

Question
I have been reading allot about reloading 20 Ga, I live in the Pacific North West "PNW" and we get allot of rain on the coast so my question is about the roll crimp and waterproofing. I have not read much about it and wanted to know more, or if there is a resource on the topic. Dropping a hand full of shells in the mud or water with TSS could get expensive :lol:

continental shooter

Re: Waterproof-ish rool crimps?

Postby continental shooter » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:26 am

hey,

First of all, you can still fish the load out and recycle the TSS LOL :lol:

Adding any product to the paper disc might compromise the closure and the shell performance without providing any great sealing anyway.

You can either get a clear plastic disc or a greased one (if available); alternatively star crimp your shells and finish them by welding the centre (Winchester style)

TBH, people use anything from loctite to clear nail paint but a little water will not compromise the closure unless you plan on keeping the shell under water for any length of time as the cardboard should be water repellent anyway. Keep shell in a water tight container or in a plastic bag and that should do you 90% of the time.

Many thanks,

manchap

Postby manchap » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:27 pm

I use UV epoxy on brass cases roll turn over finish Hit it with uv light done .

The cases do have slight roll formed with a lee crimp die . :D

P.coverts

Postby P.coverts » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Going with the clear nail polish on purchased cards. I was thinking recycled milk carton osc might work those things hold milk and about the right thickness.

continental shooter

Postby continental shooter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:41 am

the problem I see (and saw in my tests) with recycled material is that they do not offer the same ballistic property of the made for purpose stuff (namely rigidity; which affect pressure and speed).

I never saw the point of reducing quality for few cents' gain, especially if this changes the ballistic of a tested shell, thus altering performances.

that said I seldom recycle shells either as I don't like to re-size, re-prime and close the old ones...so, you can see where I'm coming from :D

P.coverts

Postby P.coverts » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 pm

The milk carton cards are same thickness as the store BP ones.028-.030 Im doing it for the fun factor and the fact it gets real soggy here, not worried about pressures. Going to shoot some patterns this weekend.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Don't use elastic stuff like latex sealant-- I tried that and got overpressure. Wrote it all up elsewhere on why I think that is. But I recommend using a frangible sealant, something that "snaps" vs. stretches. So I like nail polish myself now. And yeah, for roll crimp I think a wax board OS card like a milk carton would work great, then hit primer and OS card edges with nail polish. I also make OS discs from CD jewel cases that I cut discs from on my drillpress, makes a nice frangible plastic part. Haven't pressure tested to compare with cardboard, but BPI sells 12ga plastic discs so assuming the RTO crimp releases pressure fine.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Dave in AZ wrote:Don't use elastic stuff like latex sealant-- I tried that and got overpressure. Wrote it all up elsewhere on why I think that is.

I have also seen flexible sealant cause wad failure. But to be fair it was with wads that are known for occasional splitting of the base....

continental shooter

Postby continental shooter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:05 am

hey,

with lead, from my testing, there is no noticable difference in pressure between frangible, transparent plastic disc and hard/waxed cardboard.

I would expect that to be the case with all pellets

cheers,

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Good to know, thx much ;)

Return to “General”