28ga load data

Open discussion on Tungsten Super Shot "TSS" Handloading.

Moderator: hawglips

Ohio_Waterfowler

28ga load data

Postby Ohio_Waterfowler » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:19 pm

Not exactly new to loading tss but have not loaded anything smaller than 20ga. till now.
I picked up a 28ga autoloader and want to shoots straight tss for duck loads. Know little or nothing about the tps 28 or the PT series wads Looking for advice and a good starting points

Thanks

FFL Dealer
Life Member NAHC
Life Member NRA

Dave in AZ

Re: 28ga load data

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:56 am

There are a couple good loads for 28 gauge running around. The main one I use I found that toasty had already been using basically the same load for three or four years and had tons of field experience with it. And I believe Hal did a pressure test on that load.

If you look at 28 gauge Society or DHC at Toasties 28 gauge posts you'll see him talking about the load he's been using for 4 years now and I usually reply to those threads so you can search for our names.

Additionally bullet 225 ho has been shooting a bunch of 28 gauge with some steel loads and tested a few.

For TSS I am using number 9.5 for ducks and actually bought some tens and elevens from hawglips a year ago for 28 gauge and 410 but haven't loaded them yet. I like the 9.5 TSS because it is the equivalent of B Steel for ballistics and penetration, and it's easy for me to remember that 1/8 oz is 55 pellets. So 3/8 Oz would give you plenty of pallets for large and medium ducks and probably small Ducks also because it patterns so tight you would get 90 to 100% patterns at 40 yards pretty easy I think. Because of that I don't look at 100% TSS for the 28 gauge because that doesn't fill up a wad. The only wad available is the TPS 28 used for steel and TSS. That thing holds a lot so my game plan is a steel donor load replacing 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz with TSS. That's what toasty's load is.

Ohio_Waterfowler

Postby Ohio_Waterfowler » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:03 am

Dave in AZ wrote:There are a couple good loads for 28 gauge running around. The main one I use I found that toasty had already been using basically the same load for three or four years and had tons of field experience with it. And I believe Hal did a pressure test on that load.

If you look at 28 gauge Society or DHC at Toasties 28 gauge posts you'll see him talking about the load he's been using for 4 years now and I usually reply to those threads so you can search for our names.

Additionally bullet 225 ho has been shooting a bunch of 28 gauge with some steel loads and tested a few.

For TSS I am using number 9.5 for ducks and actually bought some tens and elevens from hawglips a year ago for 28 gauge and 410 but haven't loaded them yet. I like the 9.5 TSS because it is the equivalent of B Steel for ballistics and penetration, and it's easy for me to remember that 1/8 oz is 55 pellets. So 3/8 Oz would give you plenty of pallets for large and medium ducks and probably small Ducks also because it patterns so tight you would get 90 to 100% patterns at 40 yards pretty easy I think. Because of that I don't look at 100% TSS for the 28 gauge because that doesn't fill up a wad. The only wad available is the TPS 28 used for steel and TSS. That thing holds a lot so my game plan is a steel donor load replacing 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz with TSS. That's what toasty's load is.

Thanks Dave
You and I have talked on DHC before. I just haven't been on in awhile do to all the farm work.

FFL Dealer
Life Member NAHC
Life Member NRA

Ohio_Waterfowler

Postby Ohio_Waterfowler » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:28 pm

The attached picture isn't 28 ga. but a 12ga 2 3/4" 7/8 oz load of 15gram #7 tss at about 1720 fps. 191 pellets in the load total and it put 174 in 30" circle and none off the cardboard at 45 yds. Was looking for a goose load and found a magic kill all waterfowl load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FFL Dealer
Life Member NAHC
Life Member NRA

Bucky23kv

Postby Bucky23kv » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:12 pm

That looks pretty good. That's a nasty (but little pricey) load there...would be goose smasher. I'm going to get into the 28 gauge reloading and plan on testing some duplexing (steel and TSS15/18). Already have a great 20 gauge duplex load with the help of Dave. What size filler wad do you use in a 28 gauge? I've got some 32 gauge fiber...would that work? Or do I need to go smaller? Due to everyone being out of 28 gauge hulls and BPI out of TPS wads (I sent them email wishfully hoping to get a ETA) I doubt I'll get to anything this waterfowl season. I'm probably going to just buy the 20 lbs. of TSS15 from BPI as it costs out pretty good and makes a really lethal load.

bullet225ho

Postby bullet225ho » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:23 am

If you guys are looking to shoot HW-15 or TSS15 or whatever the latest name for it is then you may need to really think about it.

I've been loading and shooting the 28 for a few years and I have loaded a ton of HW-13 and HW-15 loads trying to match cost vs lethality vs patterns for ducks. What I've found is nothing beats a duplex load of TSS meaning 18g/cc true tungsten super shot from Hal and steel on top.

You can experiment all you want and to get the pellet count with HW-15 or 13 you have to use more of it...aka cost is higher per shot.

1/2oz of TSS (18g/cc the real stuff) and 1/2oz of steel to open the pattern up is the way to go... Do it now and thank me later.

Dave in AZ

Postby Dave in AZ » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:24 am

Finally a new post...had to check 6 forums for days lol! Ive been isolating for 6 days waiting on covid test, running out of stuff to read... did find bullet225ho on castboolits yesterday though! ;)

Anyway. What am I going to use all this HW15#7 on lol... I bought a bunch of those Fed shells from Rogers to strip the shot. Trying to find its best use, still thinking 28ga. Or the 7/8 oz 20ga load. I love that load in hw13#6, so hw15 7s would rock even more. Gotta shoot it in something heh. But yeah, bullet has a lot of experience on this, I like his loads. I'm loading up several 28ga and 410 loads of his.

bullet225ho

Postby bullet225ho » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:49 pm

Dave,

I did put together a pretty good 20ga load with HW-15 and steel duplex. I'll have to look at and see. I want to say it was 1 1/8oz total and was derived from data that I had stumbled across. Actually patterned and chrono graphed so well I loaded up two boxes for TX last year as a backup gun.

I'll get back to you on it.

I guess I was a little harsh in previous post. 7/8 to 1oz of HW-15 #7 is a pretty stout round. I just like having a higher pellet count in my loads. When I patterned the 7/8 oz load it seemed to be way tight for my liking. almost old school turkey load type patterns at 40yds. Effective at range for sure, but I'm looking at 40 as the outer limits.

Return to “TSS”