Couple of Firsts on Thanksgiving!

Duck and Goose hunting

Moderator: hawglips

bullet225ho

Couple of Firsts on Thanksgiving!

Postby bullet225ho » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:12 am

Hey folks,

This morning I successfully harvested my first duck of my own property. Feels very good.

Not only that, I also harvested my first duck with a .410 shotgun!

3" Cheddite hull, 4/8 oz #10 TSS with 1/8oz #4 Steel on top.

A pair came in about 10 min before sunrise. They were flying perpendicular to my hole and I gave them a quick call. They circled back and then threaded through the timber. Drake and a Hen, I was focused on the drake. Shot was made with drake about 3 feet off of water at around 22yds. Then hen put the slip on me and I actually lost sight of her in the timber after about 30yds. They came to a setup of 2 drake decoys and a hen decoy setup on a jerk rig. I also had a mojo woody setup.
410tsswoody.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave in AZ

Re: Couple of Firsts on Thanksgiving!

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 pm

Worth another congrats ;) That whole "first duck on my own property"... whew! I can feel that sense of awesome all the way out here in AZ! ;)

bullet225ho

Postby bullet225ho » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:37 am

Thanks again Dave,

I shared that pic with a couple of folks first thing that morning. You were one.

I hate to admit but I put coffee on that morning and literally walked into the shop, slipped on my waders, walked back in and grabbed a cup of coffee and my gun and walked 10 min to my duck hole.

I climbed into a tree stand this evening and watched the sun set and counted 15 wood ducks come out of that bottom. Saw another group of ducks (approx 20) fly down the creek just after sunset. They weren't wood ducks. maybe teal or ring necks....I'll be after them shortly.

I didn't get skunked on the deer stand either. Saw 2 doe and a little 6 pointer. I was hoping a hog would show up, but now luck this evening.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:47 am

Congrats!!

Return to “Waterfowl”